Monday, July 20, 2009

I am not fond of asking for help - but I am not afraid to...Or to give something back for it.

Thanks to a very lovely commenter and dear friend, things are looking much better. If you really would like to help out, please call your local "sliding scale" clinic and ask about donating the funds for helping someone in your community get the prescriptions they need. Because I am far from alone with this problem and I can almost guarantee someone in your community could use the help...

We have run into a rather bad snag in my corner of the world. Overall things are rather sunshine and roses - at least as sunshine and rosy as they can be. But a somewhat nasty - scratch that - a very nasty problem has arisen. There is a need for medication, coupled with a very frightening lack of resources for meds for this month as possibly next. I think that next month is looking more promising and after that it is totally smooth sailing. But this month is most definitely fucked.

I really fucking hate asking for help, but I also dread the idea of school and honestly, life in general, moving backwards instead of forwards. I also want to be very clear that I absolutely do not want to impose on anyone who is in dire straights themselves. I am just hoping that some of you might have something to spare and would be willing to help out. It needn't be much, because I have come to gain a great many friends here on the intertubes and the need isn't that huge - though in relative terms, the cost of a months worth of wellbutrin - even the fucking generic, is rather high (for example, the combined cost of everything I take - sans my wellbutrin, is 1/5th the cost of my monthly scripts).

I also thought it would be fun to turn this into a something of a challenge - I will donate an hour of time, for every ten dollar increment towards the meds. I will grant that I was already intending to do some community volunteering, but I have simply been unable to form a solid plan for that. So if I actually get to my goal, I will commit to *52 hours over the next year, of **maintenance and repair to my local YWCA - who I understand can particularly use the help...

I am trying to figure out the whole fucking paypal thing and will probably leave the damned thing up, once I figure out how to actually get into my existing paypal account and how to post an icon. Until then, please email me if you can and want to help. And as an added bonus, I will be happy to hear what you might want me to write about and try to comply with requests as quickly as possible - which isn't to say it would necessarily happen quickly. I have a semester to finish up and boys coming hard on it's heels and......You get the picture...I am hopeful however, that the next semester will not be quite so brutal. It's a little heavier load, but in a regular, sixteen week semester, rather than this really short one I'm in now...

*above and beyond any other volunteering I am planning for - which admittedly is uncertain right now...

**Or whatever else they need done - as I understand that they also need donation pick-up help as well...

4 comments:

Juniper Shoemaker said...

Next semester will be better, dear. Hang in there. I will be here for you.

All of you bloggers working on behalf of good causes make me feel as if I should do more to help, incidentally. Which is great-- if I can get myself more organized!

CyberLizard said...

Missing meds totally sucks. It screws me up for a long time after I get back on them. Being someone who flunked out of college the first time partly due to severe depression/untreated ADD, I have great admiration that you're pushing through and having success there. Especially with a family.

Keep up the good fight.

Jason Thibeault said...

I saw a "zomg Canadian style healthcare call Pelosi and Reid" bullshit ad on CNN at the gym the other night and just about had an apoplectic fit (ask Jodi). It truly makes me sad that single payer is "off the table". Even here in Canada, you need a health care plan to cover your drugs, but at least you won't have to save up to treat a potential future broken arm, or lose the house because you had a heart attack.

If you had a Paypal button I'd throw you some change in a second, man.

DuWayne Brayton said...

All right...Don't think this gets your country off the hook - though it may get you an official position in the new government...But I did put up a button...