Saturday, March 28, 2009

Post Wizard and Doctor Update...

It was a very interesting and stressful day yesterday. Therapy was pretty intense for me, as usual and the visit to the doctor was pretty intense too - though I really think that the two on the same day is rather helpful. It helps to deal with both on the same day, because both are hard to deal with and getting them done together is much easier than trying to go through this shit on two different days. And it also puts everything firmly to the forefront, so I can really provide the doctor with solid perspective.

Last night I didn't take the Seroquel. I'm still a little off, but feel better than I have since I started taking it - and that even though I started my new meds right away. Before I talk about those though, I really want to be clear about something. Just because Seroquel didn't work for me, doesn't mean it's not a good drug. It just means it wasn't a good fit for me.

I recently reconnected with an old friend. Back when she was part of the group of friends I spent a lot of time with, nine years ago or so, she was pretty extreme in many of her behaviors. And she was also pretty obsessive. When I ran into her about a week ago, she was really stable - a huge difference. As soon as I mentioned this difference she said that changing the influences in her life and therapy had helped, but that the biggest help was from her meds. When I asked her what she's taking, she said Seroquel.

And that's the thing about psych meds (or most meds really), what works for one person, may not work so well for another.

So now I am continuing on the Ritalin and occasional Xanax, while replacing the Seroquel with Welbutrin and Clonidine - we shall see how it goes...

4 comments:

Juniper Shoemaker said...

As soon as I mentioned this difference she said that changing the influences in her life and therapy had helped, but that the biggest help was from her meds.

Not to distract from your salient point that the meds are key, but I notice that your friend also made note of "influences". Maybe this is only true of most people during their particularly impressionable ages, but I've found that I grow more and more "stable" as I closely surround myself with people I want to be like. Especially in terms of lovingness and ambition.

DuWayne Brayton said...

Not at all a distraction, it's a very important point. Successful therapy often involves eliminating or downgrading influences in one's life that are problematic.

And the flip side of that, that you mention is also very important. Surrounding one's self with positive influences is very helpful indeed...

Comrade PhysioProf said...

DuWayne, you have described a lot about the different medications you have been trying to effectively tweak to get yourself to a good place. But you have not really said much about the specifics of your psychotherapy. If you are willing to share, I am very interested to know what form of psychotherapy you are engaged in and how effective you find it.

DuWayne Brayton said...

CPP -

I will do just that - hopefully within the next few days - possibly today. I actually am trying to decide whether or not to discuss a particular issue or not. I may email about it...